Mushroom poisoning with mushrooms: symptoms and first aid to the victim

Mushroom poisoning with mushrooms: symptoms and first aid to the victimGingerbreads are among the tastiest and most popular types of the mushroom kingdom. Bright appearance, exquisite taste, as well as the presence of vitamins make these fruit bodies especially attractive in the eyes of many mushroom pickers. In addition, they can be eaten even raw, as they are completely harmless. On the contrary, the benefits of saffron milk caps become obvious if you study their composition in more detail. They contain a large amount of vitamins A, B and C, as well as iron and zinc. And thanks to the low calorie content (18 kcal), mushrooms are very fond of eating by those who follow the figure and proper nutrition.

Is poisoning with saffron milk caps and mushrooms similar to them possible?

Along with the benefits that mushrooms have, you can get poisoning. Statistics say that dozens of cases of poisoning with absolutely edible mushrooms are recorded annually. Unfortunately, mushrooms in this case are also no exception.

The saffron milk caps are used for making delicious preservation, which can be used to decorate even festive feasts. This species is perfect for salting and pickling, therefore it occupies a leading position among other representatives of forest gifts. But here, too, some harm can be hidden if you do not follow the rules that allow you to prepare high-quality conservation.

There is an opinion among mushroom pickers that these cute fruit bodies cannot do harm. Is it possible to get poisoned with mushrooms and are there symptoms that will help you immediately identify this unpleasant feature?

This article provides various symptoms and signs of mushroom poisoning, as well as first aid rules for the victim. In addition, many aspiring quiet hunters will find it helpful to know what to do to harvest a safe mushroom harvest.

So, is it possible to get poisoned with mushrooms and what could be the reason? First of all, it should be noted that this type of fruiting bodies is absolutely harmless to the body. Moreover, the regular use of such a mushroom in food has a tonic effect, since it is a source of protein and amino acids. In addition, saffron milk caps do not have poisonous counterparts, so a fatal outcome from poisoning is excluded.

There are several reasons why symptoms of mushroom poisoning with saffron milk caps may occur. If you know about them, then everything will fall into place, and mushroom picking will not cause concern. Observing the following recommendations, each mushroom picker will protect himself and his family from such unpleasant situations.

  • The place where mushrooms are picked must be environmentally friendly. Ryzhiks, like any other fruiting bodies, have the peculiarity of accumulating radiation and salts of heavy metals from the air. Therefore, you need to “hunt” for bright orange hats away from factories, factories, highways, garbage dumps and industrial enterprises.
  • Only young and strong fruiting bodies need to be collected. Overgrown or spoiled mushrooms are not suitable for human consumption. If the rotting process has begun in the mushrooms, then even prolonged heat treatment will not be a guarantee of safety against poisoning. Recall that if the rotten area occupies more than 20% of the total area of ​​the fruiting body, then it must be thrown away.
  • It is necessary to properly prepare the mushrooms before preservation for the winter. Cleaning, soaking and heat treatment must be done very carefully.
  • Before going to the forest, you should thoroughly familiarize yourself with the appearance of the mushroom. Although mushrooms are almost impossible to confuse with poisonous fruit bodies, there are still cases when inexperienced connoisseurs of the 'mushroom' put conditionally edible specimens in their basket. Is it possible to poison with mushrooms similar to saffron milk caps? Yes, but death is excluded in this case.
  • Use only glass, wood, enamel or ceramic dishes for storing saffron milk caps. It is strictly forbidden to take cast iron, iron and aluminum containers. Otherwise, an oxidation reaction occurs and the fruiting bodies emit harmful substances.
  • Keep fresh mushrooms in a cool place for no more than 12 hours. It is best to process the mushroom harvest on the day of harvest.

If all the above rules are carefully followed, you can be sure that the symptoms of mushroom poisoning will not bother and first aid will not be needed.

Is it possible to get poisoned with salted mushrooms and what to do to prevent this from happening? Yes, you can, if the rules for pre-processing, preparation, and storage of the workpiece have not been followed. In addition, the cause of poisoning can be the appearance of mold on the workpiece.

And what about pickled saffron milk caps, can you be poisoned by them? There may also be several reasons for this:

  • Poor washing of fruit bodies from residues of earth and dirt. Botulism bacteria can live in the soil, so insufficient cleaning can lead to the further development of these bacteria, but already in banks. It is noticed that even with prolonged heat treatment, the causative agent of this disease does not die.
  • Storage of preservation in the basement for longer than the prescribed period.
  • Pickling and salting saffron milk caps with dirty hands, ignoring sanitary standards.
  • Keeping canned food warm and tightly sealed by metal lids.

All of the above signs also apply to another question: is it possible to get poisoned with fried mushrooms?

Signs of poisoning with saffron milk caps and how long does it take for symptoms to appear

If an affirmative answer is given to the question 'is it possible to be poisoned with saffron milk caps', then you need to familiarize yourself with the corresponding symptoms. If the mushrooms were improperly cooked or instead of edible camelina its false 'brother' was eaten, then the victim has the following ailments:

  • general weakness;
  • sweating;
  • acute pain in the abdomen and stomach;
  • headache and dizziness;
  • diarrhea, sometimes bloody.

More serious symptoms are observed with canned food poisoning:

  • severe vomiting;
  • blanching of the skin;
  • visual impairment;
  • a sharp decrease in blood pressure;
  • hallucinations;
  • fainting.

How long does it take for the symptoms of mushroom poisoning to appear? It all depends on the individual characteristics of each individual organism. Most often, the first signs of poisoning are observed during the first 1-6 hours after eating mushrooms. In addition, it is important to remember that taking alcohol together with fruiting bodies only increases the discomfort.

First aid rules for mushroom poisoning

When the first signs of mushroom poisoning appear, you must immediately call an ambulance. If we are not talking about botulism, but only about poorly prepared or spoiled mushrooms, then the following rules must be constantly observed before the arrival of doctors:

  • Give a lot to drink of plain purified or boiled water. This procedure will help flush out the stomach and reduce the amount of toxins in the body.
  • Put the patient in a horizontal position and ensure rest.
  • Give a laxative or enema to clear the bowel. In no case should you use drugs that stop vomiting and diarrhea!

Nature lover
Rate author
Hunting, Fishing and Mushrooms: a magazine for hunters and fishers.
Add a comment